Street Tag is a fun, free smartphone app that rewards you for moving. Users run, walk or cycle and collect virtual tags through the app, giving them Street Tag points and then help their team move up the leaderboard, turning Bedford Borough into a giant virtual playground.
This campaign is a public health project supported by Bedford Borough Council and aims to increase mental and physical health first and foremost; with a community and primary school leaderboard to join. There are also amazon voucher's and cash to be won amounting to the 1st place team winning £150 to 20th place winning £35 for the community leaderboard and £150 for first placed school. Street Tag launched in Bedford Borough in July 2023 and by the end of 2023, users had taken 13 million steps with over 170 active community teams and 14 primary schools signed up to the campaign. In addition to the app, they are hosting events and challenges to connect the users together.
There is so much more to come this year so please do make your own team on the app and compete for prizes in season 2.
Our monthly Tag Parties are meet-ups where attendees can meet more of the community, get involved in competitions on the day and find the bonus points tag with some special guests. These have been a resounding success since our launch and are only going to get bigger and better in 2024. The next dates for these are on their social media: 20th January at Russell Park and 17th February at Jubilee Park.
Our bi-weekly livestreams have been so much fun for the community. The community can ask questions, get tips to climb the leaderboard, receive codes for bonus points and get a head-start on our interactive social media challenges before anyone else. These streams take place on Mondays on Facebook and Instagram.
The prizes for the primary school leaderboard
Primary School and Community Leaderboard
In the community leaderboard you can be part of a team of up to 6 players or go it solo whilst in the schools leaderboard you may have up to 250 participants represent your school team. Make sure to join!
The leaderboard dates are as follows:
Season 1 - 31st July 23 to 16th Nov 23
Season 2 - 15th Dec 23 to 18th April 24
We are delighted to announce the prizes for the Community leaderboard! We can't wait to see just how many steps you can all do this season; and thank you so much for the continued support and passion for the project!
In addition to the prizes for high finishers, we are also doing a seasonal prize drawer where we will be selecting one group/person at random from each leaderboard to receive a £50 prize so make sure you get signed up to one of our leaderboards before our first drawer on Halloween!
How it works
- When playing Street Tag, you scan virtual tags with your smartphone while you are out and about. Every point you get for a tag adds to your leaderboard score! The app can run in the background, so it automatically collects tags in a 40-metre radius allowing you to focus on your journey and not your phone Can be in teams of up to 6 or individuals (more rewards for you!
- Each season is 14-16 weeks in duration
- Tags are worth an average 50 points. Once users are near/within a 40-meter radius of a tag, the player receives the points which helps the School to move up the leaderboard.
Tags can be found on the route to school, in local parks, at local events and more or less anywhere and everywhere making it really easy to join in the fun!
-Street Tag is exceptional at bringing together families at Schools, and the School staff to be physically active, by turning their streets into a virtual playground, to increase their outdoor experience in walking, running and cycling more to earn rewards.
- You can add up to two children to your app if they do not have their own smartphone
Your school can have up to 250 participants in your school team (these can include parents, children, and staff- so make sure to spread the word) and 2x250 depending on the size of your school.
- compete against other primary schools in the Borough to see who can be crowned the champion!
HOW IT WORKS (FOR SCHOOLS)
- Virtual tags are placed in popular walking routes and areas with green space to encourage activity.
- Users walk, run or cycle to virtual tags which are placed on the app's interfac
- At the end of the leaderboard seasons (resets every 12 - 14 weeks). The top 3 or more School PTA's are given performance bonus prizes. There are various other prizes for parents and children during the leaderboard seasons.
- Upon signing up your school will receive a follow-up email and a Welcome Pack for your school, with a contact person to assist you on your whole school's Street Tag experience.
Primary schools leaderboard
Season 1 - 18th Sept 23 to 29th Dec 23
Season 2 - 7th Feb 24 to 5th June 24
- Street Tag will also feature as part of the school games: an inter-school competition run and organised by Be Active.
- This gives an opportunity to represent their school through the leaderboard and win prizes for their school.
"My friend told me (Street Tag) is a fun easy way to get money and explore with friends. It made me go outside and walk with more enthusiasm".
I like that different tags had different points and loved that there were two of the 300 point tags in my local park. It motivates me to get out of the house whatever the weather.
My top tip would be to set the App to work in background mode and set your phone battery to Low Power mode so that Street Tag does not use up your phone battery too quickly! I have also started to cycle once a week during a power hour, something I had not done for probably 25 years! If it wasn't for street tag, I probably would not be cycling still!
Kept us walking to school down a familiar route and has given us structure and a routine to follow with our exercise.