Building a coaching force to get people more active locally
Couch 2 Coach Luton provides funding for people wanting to get qualified to coach or support sports or physical activity sessions in Luton. The aim of Couch 2 Coach Luton is to develop a broader and more diverse sports coaching workforce by training individuals from under-served groups in society or those working to increase activity levels in under-represented communities in our region.
We especially welcome applications from those who up until now don't have a coaching qualification and who are at the start of their coaching journey.
We are currently accepting any applications from coaches delivering in or are from Luton.
But we will be opening for Bedford Borough and Central Bedfordshire in the future.
Who will Couch 2 Coach Luton Fund?
- Coaches, leaders, volunteers and activators who are from an under-represented group themselves
- Coaches, leaders, volunteers and activators who are delivering to participants from an under-represented group
- Coaches, leaders, volunteers and activators delivering physical activity sessions to those that are new to the sport/activity
- Paid or volunteer coaches aged 16+
- Applicants without previous coaching experience are especially welcome
- We are only excepting 2 applications per organisation/club every 12 months.
What do we mean by under-represented groups?
Under-served groups include; Culturally Diverse Communities, lower socio-economic groups, those with a disability or long term-health condition. In addition to this we will support those not in Education, Employment, or Training (NEET) or those aged 60 years plus.
Who can not apply?
- Officials, such as umpires, referees and judges
- Commercial Enterprises, such as coaching agencies
- Those living or coaching outside Luton (Currently)
- Coaches wishing to attend NGB courses at Level 3 or above
- If your organisation has had 2 applications accepted for this fund within the last 12 months
What and how much can you apply for?
- Applications for Activator, Leadership, Exercise Instructor, and NGB Level 1 and Level 2 Coaching Courses
- Individuals can apply for one award per financial year (Up until 31st March 2024)
- NGB Level 2 courses will be funded at 50%, at a maximum of £300 per applicant
For all other eligible courses the bursary will pay up to 75% of the course cost up to a maximum of £300 per applicant, at the discretion of the panel
So, if you'd like to train up to become a paid or volunteer coach to help people in Luton be more active, and you're aged 16+, Couch 2 Coach Luton may be able to provide funding support to help you get qualified.
Support and guidance will be provided to individuals who are at the start of their coaching journey.
- Applications (Expression of Interest) must be received prior to the start date of the qualification or course
- No applications will be considered retrospectively i.e.: You can not apply once you have started your course
- Your course must have a confirmed start date and venue (online courses are allowed). Courses outside of Bedfordshire are allowed
- Following your expression of interest, you will then have an informal phone conversation with a member of the Be Active team. Those who meet our criteria will be invited to fill out a full application that will be passed onto our panel for decision
- The independent panel will meet within 2 weeks of the closing date of each round
- Each application will be scored based on the quality of application on meeting the aims and objectives of the scheme. Additional support in completing the application will be provided for those who need it
- Applicants will receive email correspondence notifying them of the panel decision
- If successful, further information about how to claim and provide monitoring will be sent out in due course
- Funding is limited, and the panel will choose the best applicants from each round of applications
We ask that you:
- Complete your nominated coaching course within 12 months from the date of award (please let Be Active know if this will be an issue)
- Deliver a minimum of 15 hours of physical activity to your target audience once the qualification has been completed
- Become an ambassador for the Get Healthy Luton Campaign and support our message of inspiring Luton to move more
- Complete the feedback form that will be sent out by Be Active within 3 months of completion of your course
Contact us if you would like to apply for funding
Please complete the form below and we will be in touch soon.